How to make a Youtube video
Youtube is an online portal which allows the digital audience to view, download and upload videos. A youtube video provides an opportunity to the maker to display his ideas, inventions, product demonstrations and talents over the web. It has numerous applications including knowledge distribution and building reputation through the electronic media.
Making a video is generally quite easy nowadays, since all modern day computing devices do come with inbuilt camcorders or video recording devices. However, in order to create a professional video which gets millions of views from viewers, one needs to take care of the presentation aspect which includes various significant points inclusive of the points underneath.
- Story, script or plot
- Light effects
- Sound recording quality
Uploading a video on youtube is also quite easy, provided one has a reliable access to internet. One has to simply click on the option ‘Upload video’. A stable internet connection can enable multiples of video uploads in a day.
One need not worry about video format or profile. Freedom of thought is an essential characteristic to encourage creativity. A beginner will most probably make a two dimensional(2D) movie. This can be done by a recorded video or even by combining images and small videos.
Once he learns to master light and depth effects, he can make 3D versions too. Amazing collection of various interesting formats of videos, photographs, music, lyrics, text etc. is available to select from.
What materials help in making a youtube video?
Laptop with Web camera: A webcamera attached to a laptop makes quality recording quite easy. One may even use a laptop with an inbuilt web camera if it is of high quality. Latest web cameras on computing devices have a maximum cost of $5. A laptop is also required for finally posting the video on youtube.
Smartphone : Smartphone is a convenient and portable device, equipped with an inbuilt camcorder. The storage capacity and available space need to be checked to find if recording long videos is feasible on the device. One needs to be careful regarding the audiovisual quality, which is generally not very high in such devices.
Camcorder: A robust camcorder equipment provides amazing benefits like combination of multiple features, which help in capturing ecstatic stills and videos. Prior to clicking pictures, the user must be aquainted with all the technical parameters, so that picture quality is best. One may purchase a Digital Single Lens Reflex(DSLR) camera which costs around 400 dollars.
Microphone: It is an accessory used to upgrade sound quality.
Lighting kits: These are accessories to ensure the video is well lit. Lighting kits for backdrop sites can be purchased via the online media from shopping sites like Amazon.
What are the applications of youtube videos?
Youtube videos have countless applications including the following
- Video tutorials for distance education: Many premier institutes including Massacheussets Institute of Technology, U.S. provide online educational assistance in the form of youtube videos displaying classroom lectures to interested students all over the world.
- Promotional campaigns by new artists: For pursuing a career in performing arts, aspiring candidates can upload their youtube videos displaying their skills in music, dances, elocution, mimicry etc.
- Internet based advertisements: Product manufacturing companies can create youtube videos which act as informative commercial advertisements to lure the online viewers.
- Creating documentaries on great personalities: With the help of relevant texts, scripts, images and voice modulations, one may create a classic documentary describing the inspiring stories and accomplishments of great historical legends and personalities of today.
- Video logs(V logs): These refer to video series that are updated regularly. The creator talks about any topic that is going through his mind. It is done with a webcam.
- Montages: These refer to videos filled with music videos and images while no dialogs are included.
- Pet videos: These are lighthearted videos, where one can see the maker doing a funny activity.
- Comedy videos: These show comic activities such as silly dancing or odd sketches.
- Videos for personal groups: One can make a raw video on a day spent with family or friends, save it for editing and uploading later.
Which are the crucial steps in creating a youtube video
Personalization: A videographer must personalize the movie with one’s credits, own logo, one’s role in the video and what the video is all about. This provides a platform for recognition of the creator through the web user interface and also helps in maintaining copyrights or intellectual property rights.
Camcorder orientation: One should know to hold the camera at the most appropriate angle to capture images with high resolution. By speaking before the camera, one may suitably modify the voice settings.
Script/plot: A well defined script on a classic idea is bound to get attention. The creator may first type the script, read it or be prompted by it.
High quality: One must definitely create polished videos which are characterized by great special effects, particle effects, light and shadow effects between scenes. For instance, the video of water falling from a high altitude could be picturized very well highlighting the minute details of flow, formation of cascades with optimum image resolution to create a lasting impact on the viewer.
Motion effect: One must create effect with videos, pictures, texts, lyrics, subtitles and animations. Animations may be built on softwares like Adobe dreamweaver and then combined with the main youtube video.
Focus on sound quality: Voice must be clear and undistorted to create an impact upon the viewer. One needs to use a good quality microphone. In addition the disturbing sound elements may be easily filtered out with the aid of a basic noise removal filter.
Lighting: It is a crucial element which provides proper visual effects. The recording must be preferably done in natural daylight. In case night time shots are needed, one must be very well aware of the camera features for night. Viewers shall definitely feel more connected to a well lit video. If the final movie has greater depth, it is visually better.
Recording and re-recording: One should rehearse recording footages with multiple takes. Extra video clippings may be deleted later.
Editing: Editing is a must do as it provides a view, assisting in deleting anything superfluous or of inferior quality. A jump cut is the making of a video with the help of numerous tiny clips, forming a cohesive video. It saves recording time. Apart from that, it keeps the video pace moving quickly and the viewer engaged.
Videos saved in a camcorder can be transferred to a laptop, where they could be edited with the help of editing softwares like
- Windows movie maker
- MPEG streaming
Uploading video: One needs to have a youtube account for uploading a video. Registration is easy and anyone with a gmail account can easily sign up with youtube. After logging in, the video maker must click ‘Upload’ button provided near to the upper corner to begin uploading the video.
At this point, Youtube portal will display few questions relating to the video content. Before uploading, one should ensure the video created does not violate Youtube terms and conditions. One needs to reclick ‘Upload’ option which is followed by the user navigating to the video in the windows explorer window for uploading it. Uploading is a time intensive process, so one must preferably engage his mind somewhere else.
Promoting video: One may add a video description and tags to elicit interest in viewers. Tags refer to descriptive keywords for promotions on the web via Search Engine Optimization(SEO). For increased promotions, video maker must click the share tab and post it on various sites like Twitter, Google etc. One can also copy the url link from the textbar and post it on multiple locations.
- Be careful about light quality and image resolution during recording.
- Do not upload any video content that violates terms and conditions of youtube.
- While purchasing a sophisticated camcorder, one must know about technical parameters like optical view finder and control mechanisms.
- Before final upload, a test view should always be observed.