How to make pancakes from scratch
Pancakes may be called as homemade cakes. These are fluffy and round shaped cakes that can be made on frying pan or griddle. In some countries like United States and Canada, pancakes are taken in breakfast. And in some countries it is taken as dessert. These pancakes are not too sweet in taste. And if we talk about calorie,then one pancake contains about 86 calorie.
Pancakes require some basic ingredients that may easily available at home. Therefore, pancakes can be made from scratch. If you are not a good cook so, don’t worry because the recipe of pancake is very simple and you can make it with ease. You need not to be professional for this.
Sometimes, we try new recipes at home but we didn’t get the exact dish we want. Although, this will not happen with these pancakes, because the recipe is too simple and you may get the exact dish. You may also add various things for toppings to make your pancakes more attractive and delicious.
So without wasting time, let’s talk about the recipe of these mouth-watering pancakes.
Preparation time: it can be prepared within 30 minutes.
Servings: 4 servings.
1. 2 cup all-purpose flour
2. 2 ½ tea spoon baking powder
3. ½ tea spoon salt ( for balancing the sweetness of sugar)
4. 2 table-spoon sugar
5. 2 table-spoon butter
6. 1 ½ cup milk
7. 1 egg
8. Vanilla extract (for extra flavor but not necessary)
1. Take all dry ingredients (flour, baking powder, salt, sugar) in one bowl and mix it well.
2. Make a hole in the in the center and crack an egg, add milk, butter and vanilla extract in it.
Before adding the milk,Heat it until lukewarm so that butter will not clump in it and it gets easily melted into warm milk.
3. Make a batter of it but don’t over mix it. Little lumps are okay! In fact, it will make fluffy pancakes.
4. Grease a griddle or frying pan with the cooking oil or vegetable oil or olive oil. Heat it on medium flame.
5. Pour the batter on the heated griddle and give it a round shape with the scoop.
If your pancakes are not assuming round shape then don’t get panic after all these are home-made pancakes and you need not to be a professional.
6. Pour about ¼ cup of batter (for small pancakes) or ½ cup of batter (for larger pancakes) as per your choice.
7. Cook the lower side until the edges of the pancake become slightly brown and dry, bubbles form on the upper surface of the pancake.
8. Now flip it and cook it from another side till it gets a brownish color.
9. Serve hot with honey, maple syrup, butter etc.
10. You may also use fruits ( such as strawberries,oranges etc.), nuts, chocolate chips, and lemon zest for toppings because that’s your pancake and you may do any innovation with this.
1. Since you are making pancakes from scratch so you may also use plain water in place of milk.
2. Do not try to over mix the batter otherwise your pancake will become dense and flat and it will not become fluffy and spongy.
3. You may also use self-raising flour. With this you need not to add baking powder in the batter.
4. If some lumps remain in the batter then it will be good for the pancake. It will make them more fluffy.
5. You may also use brown sugar in place of granulated sugar. This will give more moisture to your pancakes.
6. You may also preserve your batter in the fridge for next time. At that time you just need to whisk it by adding an extra milk or water.
7. You may also use yogurt, buttermilk in place of milk.
8. Consistency of the batter should be good. It should not be too thin or too thick.
1. After pouring the batter, let it cook, do not try to press the pancake with the scoop, otherwise it would become flat and thin instead of being fluffy.
2. If you want a round pancake then try to pour the batter on pre heated griddle only. But there is no compulsion of round shape. That’s your pancake and you can give them any shape and size.
3. Cover the pancakes with the aluminum foil, if you are not eating them otherwise it will become soggy.
Range of cost of ingredients and dish:
If we talk about the average cost of the ingredients and dish then let me know you, this is under your budget. You don’t need to be extravagant. Don’t forget, you are making these pancakes from scratch so there is no compulsion of all the ingredients, like you may replace milk with water. Nevertheless, if you want to know the average cost then it is given below:
1. All purpose flour: cost depends on the quantity. If you want small quantity then it may range between $ 5.oo to $ 10.00 or if you want large quantity of flour then it may range from. $ 10.00 to $ 20.00.
2. Baking powder: you may get this in between $5.00 to $10.00.
3. Salt: you may get this under $10.00.
4. Sugar: you may get this between the ranges of $10.00 to $ 20.00.
5. Butter: you may get this between the ranges of $10.00 to $ 20.00.
6. Milk: you may get this above $ 20.00 depending on the quantity of the product.
7. Eggs: you may get this between the ranges of $25.00 to $ 35.00.
8. Vanilla extract: this is not an essential ingredient but you may get this between the ranges of $15.00 to $25.00. You may also use almond extract. But yes! these flavoring agents are optional and not compulsory.
With the above cost, if we see an average cost of the dish then it may ranges from $5.00 to $10.00.So your pancake may prepare under $10.00. You can do more creativity with your pancakes. You may add extra toppings as per your wish. Since this your pancake, so do whatever you want to do with this but you must keep in mind the tips and warnings given above.
Now, try this yummy dish at your home and do let us know how well you made it. If you have any query or suggestions for us, then you are most welcome and you may give them in the comments block.