A brownie refers to a small rectangular or square shaped chocolate rich cake, generally consisting of nuts and other condiments. These serve as colorful and attractive snacks for festive occasions and family get together moments. Mostly, the varieties of brownies are filled with chocolate. Classic brownie consists of ingredients like butter , sugar, eggs and flour in addition to chocolate.
Brownies can be of three basic types: cakey(layered), chewy or fudgy. Adding ingredients like brown sugar in requisite proportions helps to develop the right texture in brownies. White sugar helps in forming the shining top surface of brownies. Brownies can be swirled with cheese, sprinkled with chips, garnished with fruity fillings or dressed with nuts. These may contain many other interesting flavors like blueberry and vanilla extracts.
This method is used to prepare chewy brownies, which do have a crackled golden crust. These need to be baked slightly less, so that chewing them becomes an easy and enjoyable process. It is also preferable to keep chewy brownies in a refrigerator for half an hour for building proper taste and flavors in them.
- Half cup butter
- Dark brown sugar
- Eggs and egg yolk
- Baking powder
Equipments and materials needed:
- Baking tray of 64 square inches
- Foil or parchment
- Baking spray or butter
- Spoon or spatula
Step 1: Initial preparation.
Preheat the oven to 375°F (190°C). Cover the bottom surface of a baking tray using aluminium foil or parchment paper. Grease the pan with the help of baking spray or butter.
Step 2: Addition of ingredients
Melt the butter and margarine in a small saucepan over low heat with constant stirring. Mix castor sugar and eggs in a separate bowl. Pour sugar and eggs in a medium sized bowl. Then stir the ingredients with a spoon, whisk or electric mixer. Mix flour and chocolate powder in a separate bowl.
Step 3: Preparation of creamy mixture
Pour molten butter into sugar and eggs mixture. Stir until the butter is nicely mixed. This will make a nice, light yellow, creamy mixture.
Step 4: Addition of cocoa mixture
Pour the cocoa mixture into mixture a little at one time. Pour ingredients into a sieve with gentle shaking, so that aeration occurs and the cocoa mixture falls into egg mixture. Add chocolate chips into the mixture. Then mix chocolate chips into the rest of ingredients.
Step 5: Transferring the mixture into baking tray.
Use a flat mixer or knife to even out the mixture. The mixture must be distributed round the pan as evenly so that the resulting brownies do have uniform height.
Step 7: Baking.
Insert the tray on the central shelf and bake for 30 minutes. Keep checking the brownies to ensure that they do not burn.
Step 8: Cooling
Take out the brownies from the oven for cooling them. Provide cooling time of atleast 5 minutes. This will also enhance the hardening time.
Step 9: Finishing step
If the brownies are cut during the cooling process, they might be too hard to cut. Allow them to set to room temperature. Cut the brownies into small chunks:
Method 2: For making ‘Fudgy brownies’
A fudgy brownie has a dense constitution with a soft and moist chocolate bulk in the inside. Adding an egg contributes to the richness and greasiness of the dish.
In fudgy brownies, the flour used is of least quantity. No baking powder is used. Unsweetened chocolate with sugar is used to provide a balancing taste against bitterness of cocoa. Instead of melting the butter, creaming of butter is advisable as it enables formation of a denser mass. It is preferable to use brown sugar or granulated sugar for preparing fudgy brownies.
- Granulated sugar or brown sugar
- Caramel juice
Materials and equipment required
- Baking pan of 64 square inches area
- Microwave oven with accessories
- Foil or parchment paper
- Fork and knife for shaping
- Initial preparation: Preheat the oven into 325°C. Lines the sides of a square shaped baking pan with foil or parchment paper. Pour 1-2 inches of water into a medium saucepan. Heat up the water until it reaches a simmer.
- Mixing starting ingredients: Combine cocoa powder, sugar, butter and salt in a bowl: At first check the bowl for heat tolerance. Stir the ingredients. Then let the ingredients be heated by exposing the bowl to heat over simmering water. This facilitates the mixture constitution uniformity and creamy consistency. Stir more for warm and smooth. If it appears chunky, add flour and eggs to the mixture. Provide cooling time of 3-5 minutes
- Addition of vanilla: Add vanilla with a spoon or spatula resulting in imparting a unique flavor to the brownies.
- Addition of eggs: Add eggs one by one to the mixture. Stirring is done after adding each egg. This renders the mixture smooth.
- Paste formation: Add flour with constant stirring for 1-2 minutes. A thick paste is formed.
- Adding nuts: Stir in walnuts, pecans, almonds or other nuts to give an attractive look.
- Pouring mixture into pan: Pour mixture oven the foil in the pan taking care to ensure that it is spread evenly to form brownies with uniform thickness.
- Baking: The mixture is heated for 25 minutes, until baking is done. Proper baking is when a toothpick can be put in the centre and could be taken out very cleanly.
- Cooling: Cooling for 5 minutes. Cut the brownies into 16 even square pieces
- Serving: Serve with caramel juice.
Method 3: For making layered brownies
In this method the brownies consist of layers of chocolate butter mixtures with other additives like vanilla and peanuts. It’s a healthy and tasty dish, ideal for festive occasions and family picnics.
- 1 cup butter or margarine
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 4 ounces chocolate
- ½ cups sugar
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- Peanut butter
Materials and equipment required
- 3-4 mixing bowls
- Food processor
- Stirring spoon
- Microwave oven with accessories
- Frying pan
- Baking pan(9×13”)
Step 1: Ingredient preparation
Mince the peanuts using food processor. Beat the eggs in a bowl. In a medium sized bowl, combine peanut butter with sugar with vigorous stirring to get smooth peanut butter layer.
Step 2: Setting oven temperature
Preheat oven to 350° F.
Step 3: Preparing ingredient mixture
Pour butter and chocolate into microwave safe bowl. Heat the mixture at high heat for 2 minutes, so that butter melts. Alternately, the mixture could be heated in a frying pan until melting point is reached. Add granulated sugar and egg mixture. Then add vanilla. Stir the mixture until uniform composition. Then add flour and peanuts to the mixture with constant stirring.
Step 4: Baking
Spread the final mixture over a baking pan with a dimension of 9×13 inches. Heat the mixture for 30-35 minutes until the baking is done. Over-baking must be avoided. Cool the baked product in pan.
Step 5: Glaze preparation
In a microwave safe bowl, add chocolate, butter and 1 tsp vanilla extract and heat for 2 minutes at a high temperature, till melting of butter. Stir the contents so that chocolate melts into the solution.
Step 6: Layering
Spread peanut butter layer over cooled brownies. Then spread the glaze over peanut butter layer. Cool the brownies and cut them into squares. Layered brownies are ready.