Deviled eggs, also known as egg mimosa or dressed eggs are one of the most easily prepared appetizers. The term ‘deviled’ entered the world of recipe in the 18th century. It was used to denote spicy food for the inclusion of spices in boiled eggs. Deviled eggs are called angel eggs when the ingredients and seasonings mixed with the yolk are quite healthy. Different countries have evolved different styles are flavorings to make the dish really special. Deviled eggs are immensely popular in the nations of Europe and North America.
In order to prepare deviled eggs, hard boiled eggs are shelled, their yolk and white part are separated. Then, the egg yolk mix is enriched with tasty ingredients like spices, paprika etc. to enhance its aroma. Scoops of yolk mixture are stuffed into the egg whites. For their pleasing looks and taste, deviled eggs are favorite dishes during Sunday delights and get together occasions like picnics. It takes only 15 minutes to prepare the rich and healthy deviled eggs.
This is the simplest method of deviled eggs’ preparation. The ingredients are readily available and materials required are available in all kitchens and dining areas. Once the ingredients are prepared, it takes very little time for final dressing. The flavors are interesting and salubrious.
- 6 hard cooked eggs
- 2 tbsp mayonnaise
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoonful of white sugar
- 1 teaspoonful of vinegar
- 1 teaspoon of mustard
- 1 tablespoon finely minced red onion
- 1 tablespoonful of finely chopped celery
- 1 pinch paprika
Materials and equipments required
- Boiling: Boil the eggs first.
- Cooling of boiled eggs: Cool the boiled eggs by leaving for some time at room temperature or dipping in water.
- Separation of yolk from egg white: Slice eggs longitudinally. Separate the yolk part at the core of the eggs from soft white cover at the periphery.
- Mashing yolk: Collect all the yolks on a small bowl. Mash the yolk content with the help of a fork.
5. Ingredient addition:
- Add mustard and salt to the yolk and mix again with a spoon.
- Add mayonnaise and sugar.
- Add some vinegar to the mixture.
- Add onion and celery.
6. Blending: Mix all the contents well to ensure that the ingredients are spread uniformly throughout the mix.
7. Scooping: Scoop parts of this nutritious mixture and stuff them into egg whites kept in a separate bowl.
8. Seasoning: Sprinkle some paprika over the stuffed egg whites, providing an attractive look and flavor to the dish.
9. Refrigeration: Put the dish in a refrigerator to cool it for some time.
10. Serving: Serve on dish.
Method 2: For preparing Classic deviled eggs
- 6-12 boiled eggs
- Quarter cup mayonnaise
- 1 tsp yellow mustard
- 1 tsp white vinegar
- 1 tsp Spanish Paprika
- Take 6 eggs and boil them till hard.
- Slice the eggs along their length into half.
- Scoop the yolk from the core of the eggs with the help of a tablespoon.
- Collect all the yolk on another medium sized bowl. Mash with the help of a spoon or fork to get a creamy mixture.
- Add quarter cup mayonnaise, 1 teaspoon of white vinegar, 1 teaspoon yellow mustard, 1 pinch salt and pepper to the yolk. Mix these ingredients for making the composition uniform.
- With the help of teaspoon, scoop the mixture into the albumin parts kept on a separate dish.
Method 3: Making Gluten free deviled eggs
- Garlic powder
- Chilli powder
- Sea salt
- Fresh lime juice
- Plain yogurt
Step 1: Guacamole preparation
In a bowl, mash avocodo with salt and lime juice. Add minced onions, cilantro, garlic and tomato pieces. Add red pepper and stir nicely. Refrigerate for 20 minutes, for best flavor.
Step 2: Yolk enrichment
Mash the separated yolks with avocado, plain yogurt, pinch of garlic powder. Also blend the yolk mixture with sea salt, spices like pepper and chilli powder.
Step 3: Stuffing
Take out scoops of egg mixture and fill them in the albumin portions.
Step 4: Dressing
Squeeze little quantity of fresh lime juice over the top of the dish. Add guacamole before serving.
Smoky Deviled Eggs with Greek Yogurt
- 6 eggs(hard boiled eggs)
- Half to one Greek yogurt
- Sun dried tomatoes
- 3 quarters smoked paprika
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 shallot
- Quarter cup vegetable or peanut oil
Materials and equipments required:
- 2-4 large bowls
- 2 spoons
- Sharply edged knife
- Food processor
- Frying pan
- Paper towel
Step 1: Ingredient preparation
Cut the sun dried tomatoes into very fine pieces with the help of sharp edged knife or vegetable slicer. Alternately, use a food processor for small and even pieces. Slice the shallot into thin pieces.
Step 2: Slicing eggs
Peel the hard boiled eggs. Slice the eggs into half.
Step 3: Mashing of yolk
Set the yolks and albumin containing whites onto separate bowls.
Step 4: Yolk mixture preparation
Smash the yolks, using a fork. Add half a cup of Greek yogurt to the yolk. Stir well into the mixture for uniform distribution of constituents. Mix chopped tomatoes. Then add salt and smoked paprika. Add yogurt in tablespoons to the yogurt mix, until the mixture gets the right consistency.
Step 5: Frying shallots for dish topping
Heat some oil over medium heat in a frying pan. If the slice sizzles in contact with oil, one may assume that the oil is ready for frying. Add shallot slices to the pan, where they get heated and gradually turn golden brown in color.
With the help of a slotted spoon, lift them off the frying pan. Place them now on a paper towel. Sprinkle some salt over the fried slices.
Step 6: Dressing egg mixture
Scoop some egg mixture into each of the egg whites. Store deviled eggs by refrigeration or serve on dish.
Step 7: Serving with toppings
For topping, add one teaspoon of fried shallot to each of the egg whites. About 12 devilled eggs could be prepared.
It is advised to use an Aluminium foil. It keeps the food moist. Apart from that it also ensures that food is cooked uniformly throughout.