Pizza is a well known fast food item, known all over the world. It is believed that an ancient Greek word picte meaning fermented pastry eventually gave rise to the term pizza. Pizza dough is formed by combining flour, water, yeast and oil. The rise in dough is attributed to its gluten content.
Bubbles are formed due to the sugars present in the live yeast culture trapped within the gluten, which might undergo fermentation. While instant yeast adds up immediately to the flour mix, active dry yeast requires to undergo the process of proofing. In this process, sugar is mixed with lukewarm water, helping in producing a foam.
The process of kneading is quite crucial since it helps in the growth of bubbles which make dough soft and fluffy. Kneading also helps in the binding of proteins. With one pound of dough, a yield of 2 pizzas measuring 10 inches is possible.
It is possible to prepare a pizza dough at home with the help of readily available ingredients, simple cooking accessories, preparatory tips and little bit of practice. The dough requires only half an hour for the topping. However, it is often advised to prepare the dough the night before the baking process. This yields the best crust. There are techniques with the help of which the pizza crust could be frozen and reheated without becoming rigid. Frozen pizzas with raw ingredients and the ability to rise by self can be prepared.
Method 1: This is a very simple technique for making dough that could be baked the very same day. It uses the most basic ingredients and normal cooking accessories.
- Mix flour and yeast in a bowl. Form a dip at the center.
- Gradually add water such that water flour ratio is 1:2.
- Gradually add olive oil to the mix. Adjust the contents to make the dough workable and smooth.
- Mix the dough with hands or spoon, so that it becomes elastic.
- Roll into a ball like shape and transfer to a clean bowl.
- Cover the bowl with a moist cloth and leave it undisturbed in a warm room for about half an hour. The warmth of the room provides optimal conditions for yeast growth. So the dough doubles in bulk.
- Finally, knock back the dough by firstly kneading and then punching, so that the trapped in air is released out.
- Divide the dough into smaller balls.
This method employs refrigeration for making light and crunchy crust.
- To make the crust light and crunchy, the dough could be prepared one day before.
- The prepared dough could be refrigerated for the whole night so that the protein binding is maximized.
- From the dough, make smaller balls and smear some semolina flour or corn flour over them to prevent sticking.
- Place the small dough rolls on tray. Cover the tray with a plastic wrap and refrigerate it overnight for 3 days.
- Before deciding final preparation, one must allow the dough to warm up for a minimum time of 1 hour.
- Active dry yeast
- All purpose flour
- 4 tbsp sea salt
- 2 bowls
- Plastic wrap
- Take all-purpose flour in a large bowl.
- Whisk 4 tablespoon of sea salt in the mixture.
- Pour in it half a teaspoon of active dry yeast.
- Mix the contents thoroughly with a spatula or whisk.
- Add water at room temperature.
- Mash all the contents together forming a ball.
- Place the dough into another clean bowl.
- Cover the bowl with a plastic wrap for atleast 2 hours.
- Lift the plastic wrap and note that the dough has grown to double its size.
- On a clean surface put some flour. Spread the dough on it.
- Cut into 6 partitions. Fold the corners to the centre forming spherical balls.
- 2.5 cups all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon of active dry yeast
- 2 teaspoon of sugar
- ½ tablespoon of oil
- ½ teaspoon of salt
- 2 mixing bowls
- Mixing spoon
- Plastic wrap
- Mix all ingredients in a bowl.
- Add 1 tablespoon of oil to the mix.
- Gradually, add one cup warm water to the mixture.
- Add flour over liquid.
- Add water.
- Mix the ingredients well so that the dough is formed. Knead the dough well. Kneading is an important process because it activates gluten in the dough.
- Line a large bowl with oil. Place dough on the bowl.
- Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and let it rest for one hour.
- After 1 hour, the dough doubles in size. Place the enlarged dough on a pan and stretch it.
- Punch holes on the dough surface using fork.
- Bake in an oven for an hour so that the crust becomes golden brown
- Garnish the final dish with toppings.
Method 5: For making Pizza dough-Italian recipe
- 6 teaspoon of olive oil
- 2 tablespoon of sugar
- 2 tablespoons of salt
- 1 and three quarter ounces of active dry yeast
- 10 cups flour
- 2 and half cups of water at room temperature.
- 2 mixing bowls
- Mixing spoon
- Activate the yeast: Put sugar and yeast into a small bowl. Add half a cup water to the bowl. Mix the contents gently until they dissolve in water. Leave undisturbed until the surface becomes foamy.
- Dough making: Dissolve some salt in water. Put flour into a large bowl. Make a gap in the center. Firstly, add yeast followed by salt water into the flour. Then add some oil. Add water gradually.Mash the contents with hand so that the dough is formed.
3. Kneading: Knead the ball until it becomes soft and elastic.
4. Rising: Line the surface of a container with flour. Place the dough over the flour lined surface. This prevents the dough sticking to the surface. Cover the container with a towel. Let it rest for 2 hours in a dark place. In this phase, the dough rises and multiplies in bulk.
- 4 cups flour
- 4 ounces active dry yeast
- 2 teaspoonful of olive oil
- 1 teaspoon of Kosher salt
- Four and half cups of hot water
- Parmesan cheese
- 2-4 mixing bowls
- Stirring spoon
- Plastic wrap
- Mix yeast with hot water at a temperature of 110°C.
- Stir for 10 minutes so that the yeast starts dissolving and reacting with water, giving a creamy appearance.
- Add yeast water to a mixing bowl. Add Kosher salt to it.
- Add olive oil.
- Add flour to the mixture.
- Use a dough maker for 15 minutes.
- Transfer the dough to a separate bowl, which has been lined with oil to prevent dough sticking to surface.
- Cover the bowl with plastic. Let it rest for 2-3 hours.
- After 2-3 hours, pizza dough rises to triple of its initial size.
- Put some flour over the surface of a container. Pour pizza dough on the surface.
- Cut the enlarged pizza dough using sharp edged knife into 6 pieces.
- Take out one piece and roll between hands, forming a soft ball.
- Stretch the dough into 10 to 12 inches.
- Scrape sauce over the surface. Add Parmesan cheese as well on it.