What is a resume?
A resume provides a screenshot view of a candidate’s career related objectives and accomplishments. It is a systematic written account describing a person, providing important details relating to his family background, nationality, ethnicity, gender along with details of educational qualifications and work experience. It has a specific format, depending on the purpose. An aspiring candidate presents a resume during a job interview. The interviewee screens through resumes before selecting a candidate to be posted. A well designed resume enhances the scope of a candidate getting selected for a certain job. Resume helps in career growth of job seekers as well as working professionals.
Candidates must positively carry printed resume on the day of interview. Soft copies of resumes must be kept ready as they could be uploaded onto employment websites as well as company websites. A fresh inexperienced candidate needs to bring a one page resume whereas an experienced candidate must have a detailed resume of 2-3 pages, wherein all the details related to present or past jobs could be provided.
Resumes should be modified or updated on a routine basis, with the addition of latest career related information like latest roles performed or conferences attended. If a resume is sent through post or e-mail, it is sent along with a cover letter.
What is a cover letter?
A cover letter explains the willingness of the candidate in joining a specific job. The opening paragraph explains how the person came to know about required job profile, why he or she is the appropriate candidate for the job, with necessary details of qualifications and experiences in line with the specific career profile. An aspiring candidate may even provide a detailed account of how his internships enabled him to enhance his technical acumen and soft skills, enabling him to develop as a more capable person.
In the concluding paragraph, the candidate may elaborate his possible roles if he gets an opportunity to work with the company. The candidate needs to maintain a professional and polite tone throughout with quality vocabulary taking care to avoid too the usage of too much of colorful language.
What are the essential points in a resume?
A resume prepared for applying for a technical job will differ from that for academic or other types of jobs. However few basic features are there in every resume. The essential points in a resume are:
- Opening statement: In this section, the aspiring can briefly introduce himself, his abilities, his objectives and goals in a very realistic tone in order to give the confirmation of his candidature for the job.
- Self-introduction/ Personal details: A person needs to give basic details about himself like his name, father’s name, nationality, gender, ethnicity, caste etc. A candidate could preferably have his passport sized photograph placed at the top right hand corner of the page.
- Academic details: Information relating to specialized courses pursued, year of completing important exams, names of institutions, grades achieved etc. need to be included in a resume. The information is chronologically arranged, beginning from highest qualifications or latest certifications. However, the order is subject to change, as per the specific format of a particular company. Any relevant achievement like meritorious or scholarly performance in a specific degree may be highlighted here in order to augment the chances of selection.
- Experience: This is the most important and frequently updated section of a resume. Details of latest and past job profiles, tenure of job, roles and responsibilities, salaries drawn etc. are included in the experience section. Candidates might also include details regarding their projects or internships, which help raise the chances of selection. One must be diligent enough to modify the experience section by stressing upon company specific information. This is the part which company recruiters emphasize the most, since it helps to assess the technical skills and the eligibility of a person for a particular job.
- Software skills: A candidate must mention the programming languages known, because it might give an edge over other candidates.
- Miscellaneous details: A candidate is also required to mention information relating to his participation in extracurricular activities, hobbies, strengths, limitations etc. This provides the recruiter a chance to know about the interpersonal skills of the candidate.
What is the need for a resume writer?
A resume writer is one who designs resume for a candidate in a professional manner to enhance scope of selection of a candidate. Resume writers are generally informed of companies and respective job opportunities. In addition, they have good literary and interpersonal skills, which help in the making of a resume which is more readable from recruiter’s point of view. The aim of resume writer is to emphasize those aspects of a candidate, which are more relevant with respect to a specific profession or company.
All major career related websites and placement agencies do prescribe an expert resume writer. Candidates might hire a resume writer in case they want their resumes prepared in the most appropriate manner or alternatively if they are too busy to draft a new resume. However in this case, effective communication between professional resume writer and the jobseeker is a must to making of a good resume.
What points must be kept in mind while making a resume?
- The resume must provide a brief yet detailed account of a candidate. No important points must be omitted. Keywords related to job profile increase the readability of the resume. Recent updates should definitely be included in final resume.
- The resume must meet the specific concerns of a job profile in a specific company. Else it must be revised or modified in accordance with the requirements of a given profile.
- Only Serif fonts must be selected for the resume as these provide a standardized appearance. eg. Times New Roman.
- The resume should be written in the most perfect manner to ensure no errors in grammar or logical framing of sentence structures. Professionalism and clarity of approach are important to making of a well drafted resume. Candidates must proofread their resumes to make sure that they are error free and written perfectly.
Which tools are useful for developing resume?
Candidates can scroll through a list of resume templates from online sites eg. Live career. Resume builders can be accessed through online portals such as resume.com. Such portals help to create resume, manage, edit previously drafted resume and build an effective online portfolio. A candidate may even avail the facility of creating multiple versions of resume. Once formed, a candidate may easily share and post resume on multiple websites. Most of these online portals facilitate the feature of resume tracking, which means it could be easily searched by interested job providers.
- The candidate needs to take care that the resume is updated with latest information.
- No false information must be present in a resume.
- Before resume submission, one must confirm his or her eligibility with respect to job profile requirements.
- One must check if the company has a specifically designed resume format for the candidates.