Martini,the king of cocktails is a refreshing drink which is characterized by a crisp flavor. The basic preparation technique of Martini is simple and requires few steps and materials. Once the mixture is ready, it is garnished with olives and lemon twist. Martinis have evolved in terms of ingredients and flavors with times and new generations. ‘Cosmopolitan’ is one known variant of the martini. Martini is always served in chilled glasses.
It is believed that a cocktail with the name ‘Martinez’ was developed as early as mid nineteenth century. Martinez had four parts of vermouth to only one part of gin. Cherry was used to garnish it.
Old Tom Gin was an ancient variety which is known to be very sweet with Juniper flavor. Gradually Modern Martini came into picture. Then olive became a basic part while dry vermouth replaced red vermouth, introducing the Dry Martini.
Classic Martini consists of gin and vermouth. It is garnished with olives and lemon twist. But vodka martinis were more popular. The modern definition of martini is one that may contain either gin or vodka. Shaken martini is known as Bradford. But some believe that Martini must always be stirred and never shaken.
With the help of this procedure, one may prepare a special variant known as ‘Classic Martini’. One needs to be careful regarding the accurate positioning of ingredients and the proper time when garnishing is to be done.
• Mixing glasses
Step 1: Filling
Fill the shaker or mixing glass with chipped ice.
Step 2: Addition of gin
Add required amount of gin i.e. 2 and half ounces.
Step 3: Addition of vermouth
Add one shot or one splash of vermouth. It may be red or white.
Step 4: Stirring
The contents are stirred for properly mixing the ingredients and distributing flavors.
Step 5: Garnishing
Place the strainer above shaker, pour martini into glass. Garnish with the help of lime and lemon.
This method helps to prepare Derek Brown’s dark martini. All the ingredients are combined and simply stirred with ice, yielding a chilled mixture.
- One and half ounces dry gin
- Orange bitters
- One and half ounces dry vermouth
- Lemon peel
Step 1: Combine all basic ingredients i.e. dry gin, vermouth together
Step 2: Stir thoroughly with ice. Stirring helps to yield a chilled mixture.
Step 3: With the help of strainer, pour the solution into chilled cocktail glass.
Step 4: Squeeze oil from solution
This recipe is for preparing a fruit based variant of Martini, which is known as ‘Pomegranate Tanqueray Martini’. Fruit juices form a basic component of this delicious mixture, apart from Cointreau liquor and sugar.
• 3 ounces of Pomegranate juice
• lemon juice
• ½ ounces of Cointreau liquor
• 1 ounce of vodka
1. Chill the Martini glasses first, by placing in fridge. Alternately ice may be kept inside the glasses for some while.
2. Moisten the rim of the Martini glass with lemon juice. Then coat the rim evenly with sugar.
3. Pour ice in a tall glass. Add to it pomegranate juice, lemon juice and Cointreau
4. Shake the contents vigorously about 5 times
5. Strain the content into chilled Martini glass.
It is an elegant looking martini with a frothy texture and coffee flavor, known as ‘Espresso Martini’. The presence of coffee, chocolates and ice-cream flavors add a relishing touch to the final drink.
• Coffee Liquor
• Hazelnut liquor
• Chocolate shavings
• Irish Cream
1. Prepare Espresso Coffee and place in freezer.
2. Keep Martini glass in chilled state by pouring ice in it.
3. Use a cheese grate to separate Chocolate Bar.
4. Add all ingredients to cocktail shaker and shake vigorously for 5 times.
5. Pour the mixture by straining in chilled Martini Glass.
6. Add Espresso
7. Garnish with chocolate shavings and serve.
This recipe is used to prepare a colorful and elegant variety of Martini known as ‘Blue Martini’.
• 1 ounce of Blue Curacao
• 1 ounce Angostura Bitters
• 3 ounce vodka
1. Chill Martini glass by refrigerating the glass for 3 minutes.
2. Fill the cocktail shaker with crushed ice.
3. Add all ingredients like Angostura Bitters and Blue Curacao. Shake the mixture for 5-10 times.
This method is used to make martini in which the sweetness of cranberry juice contributes to the feel of final dish, known as Sweet Cranberry Martini.
• Half ounce Cointreau
• 3 ounces Cranberry Juice
• Lime Wedge
• 1 ounce vodka
1. Chill martini glass containing ice for 3 to 5 minutes.
2. Fill half of cocktail shaker with ice
3. Add all ingredients and shake vigorously for 20 seconds.
4. Strain martini mixture into chilled glass.
5. Garnish and serve.
This method helps to prepare Kahlua Coffee Martini with the help of vanilla extract and instant coffee.
• 2 ounces Kahlua
• Vanilla extract
• Hot water
• Instant coffee
• 2 ounces vodka
1. Keep martini glass in an ice filled freezer. Then start with preparation of coffee mixture. By the time coffee is ready, the martini glass will be effectively chilled.
2. Add sugar to coffee and stir so that sugar is dissolved.
3. Place the coffee mixture in refrigerator for 20 minutes, so that the coffee gets icy cooled.
4. Fill half of a cocktail shaker with ice. Then add, Kahlua, vanilla extract and vodka to the shaker. Shake well.
5. Strain the new mixture into chilled martini glass.
6. Pour chilled coffee mixture and garnish with chocolate shavings.
This is also a fruit juice variant of Martini. Known as Grapefruit and Orange Martini, it combines the flavors and health benefits of citrus fruits like oranges and grapes.
• Orange juice, 20 ml
• Grapefruit juice, 60 ml
• 2 ounces vodka
1. Place highball glass in freezer, so that it gets chilled.
2. Pour ice cubes into cocktail shaker. Add 2 ounces vodka to cocktail shaker.
3. Shake the constituents for about 20 seconds.
4. Strain the solution into chilled highball glass.
5. Pour orange and grapefruit juice.
This recipe is used for the preparation of ‘Monday Martini’ which consists of many sweet fruits including lemon and watermelon, chilled in ice.
• Half teaspoon lemon juice
• 1 slice of fresh watermelon
• 2 ounces vodka
• 4-5 ice cubes
1. Pour ice in a martini glass and place in a freezer to chill.
2. Dice watermelon. Prepare syrup.
3. Pour vodka and syrup in cocktail glass.
4. Add diced watermelon and icecubes to glass
5. Coat the rim of glass with lemon juice
6. Strain the mixture into chilled martini glass, rimmed with lemon.