Margarita refers to a cocktail prepared with the help of tequila and citrus fruit juice like lime. It is made of 1 part white tequila, 1/2 part Cointreau, and 1/2 part fresh squeezed lime.
The main ingredient of margarita is lime juice, which has been squeezed freshly. There is a special margarita glass, where margarita is served traditionally, especially on festive occasions.
A margarita is a combination of triple sec, tequila and lime juice. Margarita is available in various versions, depending upon ice treatment and ingredients present. In the United States, Persian lime is the most commonly used essential ingredient. In Mexico, Mexican varieties of lime are used.
Based on ice treatment, the various types are:
- Margarita on the rocks: It refers to margarita that is served after shaking with ice. Margaritas on the rocks provide a stronger tequila taste.
- Frozen margarita: It refers to the variant of margarita which has been blended with ice.
- Straight up margarita: It refers to margarita without ice.
Perfect margarita preparation requires the ingredient called margarita salt, though table salt is used often. The subtle flavor of margarita makes the final dish quite interesting. Margarita may be prepared with the help of flavors of fruits like mango, banana, raspberry, melon or strawberry.
This method is used to prepare ‘Basic Margarita’, which may also be known as Lime margarita for it contains only fresh lime juice, which is an essential ingredient. In place of fresh lime juice, frozen lime concentrate may be added, making the process simpler.
- 6 ounces of frozen limeade concentrate
- 6 ounces of tequila
- 2 ounces triple sec
- Adding crushed ice: Fill crushed ice into a blender
- Adding ingredients: Add limeade concentrate, tequila and triple sec.
- Blending: Blend the constituents well to get a uniform mixture.
- Serving: Margarita is ready to be served. Pour the mixture into glasses
This is the procedure to make ‘Classic Margarita’. Classic Margarita can be prepared with the help of few basic ingredients and some basic mixing applications. Classic Margarita serves a royal treat during festive occasions like Cinco de Mayo.
- 25 ounces Tequila
- Three quarter ounces of Triple Sec
- 1 ounce of Lime juice
Step 1: Combination of ingredients
Combine tequila, triple sec, ice and lime juice in a cocktail shaker.
Step 2: Blending
Shake the contents vigorously for uniform distribution of ingredients.
Step 3: Straining
Strain the solution into a chilled cocktail glass, with a rim that has been smeared with rim.
Step 4: Garnishing
Classic Margarita is ready for serving. It may be garnished with lime.
This is the procedure to make golden margarita. Golden Margarita is a relishing cocktail with tequila as a basic ingredient.
- Half ounces of Grand Marnier Liqueur
- Half Lime
- One cup Ice
- 3 ounces of lime and margarita mixture
Step 1: Preparing chilled glasses
Place a margarita glass in refrigerator, so that it gets chilled before the cocktail is poured in.
Step 2: Coating the glass rim with salt
Smear the rib of the margarita glass with a piece of lime. Then dip the rim into salt, so that it gets coated.
Step 3: Mixing ingredients
Pour Lime margarita mix into a shaker. Then add tequila and Grand Marnier liqueur into it.
Step 4: Shaking with ice
Add ice to the shaker and shake the cocktail
Step 5: Straining
Strain the cocktail into margarita glass
Step 6: Serving
Serve in margarita glass.
This refers to the procedure for making a fruit margarita: This requires only 5 minutes. A syrup is prepared with the help of sugar and water, with little stirring. Addition of syrup provides a fruity touch to the final taste of margarita, by absorbing fresh fruit flavors. Fruity margarita is more of a health based rather than an alcoholic drink, owing to the presence of fruit ingredients.
In order to make fruit margarita, one may select from a variety of fruits like oranges or mangoes. Apart from that one needs to include syrup, orange liquor (Triple sec) and tequila. A blender is required for preparing fruit margarita. In case food processor is not available, a food processor may be used.
One may use frozen fruit or even fresh fruit for preparing fresh fruit margarita. Mangoes are blended forming a creamy and smooth mixture. Sometimes the amount of fruit pulp to be added needs slight changes and adjustments. If the margarita forms very thick consistency, it may be diluted by addition of water for obtaining desired consistency.
- One cup water
- Powdered sugar
- Half cup frozen lime or mango juice
- 1-2 ounces tequila
- Half ounces of orange liquor
- Once cup ice
- Lime wedge
Step 1: Preparing simple syrup
Add water and sugar to a small container and heat the solution over medium heat. Whisk for 5 minutes so that the sugar gets dissolved. Allow heated syrup to cool.
Step 2: Blending all basic ingredients
In a blender, combine frozen fruit, tequila, orange liquor and ice. Mix the constituents for 1 minute, so that a mixture of uniform composition is obtained.
Step 3: Dipping
The glass rim is rubbed with a slice of lime. Then the glass is dipped with either sugar or salt. With fruits, it is preferred to dip in sugar or fruit flavored sugar.
Step 4: Serving
Pour margarita into margarita glass.
This is the procedure to make strawberry margarita, which is one of the types of fresh fruit margarita. Frozen strawberry is generally used in preparing strawberry margarita and known as frozen strawberry margarita.
- Three to four cups strawberries
- Two and half cups of crushed ice
- Half cup tequila
- 4 tbsp sugar
- 3 tbsp Cointreau, orange flavored liquor
- Half cup fresh lime juice
- Lime wedges
- Place glass of volume 8 ounces under freezing conditions.
- Mix strawberries with ice, tequila, lime juice, sugar and liquor.
- Blend the constituents, until a smooth and uniform mixture is formed.
- Margarita is ready for serving in chilled glasses. It may be garnished with lime wedge.
- Salt must be present on the tips of the glass. No salt should get mixed with the cocktail.
- Shaking of the constituents must be done thoroughly to spread the ice cold effect.