How to make French toast
Ah, Creamy and crispy French toast! What can be better than this in your breakfast? It is golden brown and crispy bread that is prepared by soaking stale bread in milk and egg mixture and then fried on the frying pan. Its inner part is creamy and outer part is little crispy. So, it is a combination of creamy and crispy bread at the same time.
People generally think that French toast is a French dish but in reality it is not. Although, its origin has not known yet.People also called it as Spanish toast, eggy bread, poor knights, Bombay toast, gypsy toast etc. You can make this French toast easily.
You can make it sweet or savory. You may also add toppings for more taste. Toppings may be maple syrup, icing sugar, ketchup, mushrooms etc. Generally, bread is soaked in egg and milk mixture but you can change it as per your choice. You can use cream, sugar solution, wine etc. for this purpose.
When fresh bread is soaked in milk and egg mixture then it becomes soggy therefore stale and thick slices of bread are good for this recipe. Your French toast will be good with the stale bread as compared to fresh bread and the versatility in the taste is the best part of this French toast. So, if you are looking for good French toast recipe then your search, ends here!
Preparation time: when we are very hungry, we just need the thing that is good in taste and takes less time in its preparation. And here preparation time of French toast is rapid. You may prepare your French toast within 20 minutes. How good it is?
Servings: 8 slices of bread. Serving depends on the number of bread slices you have taken for your dish.
1. 8 slices of Bread
2. 4 Eggs
3. 2/3 cup of Milk
4. Salt to taste
5. 3 tablespoon Butter
7. Vanilla extract for extra flavor. However, it is not an essential ingredient.
For toppings: this is optional and you may use any of the toppings below:
2. Maple syrup
4. Orange zest
5. Icing sugar
6. Lime juice
9. Powdered sugar
10. Dry fruits etc.
1. Crack eggs in a shallow bowl and beat them until the white and yolk of eggs mix completely.
2. Add milk, cinnamon, salt and vanilla syrup in it and mix it well.
3. Now put a bread slice in this milk-egg mixture for few minutes so that mixture is completely soaked by the bread.
4. After the soaking, remove excess mixture from the bread by shaking it or slightly pressing it.
5. Heat a griddle on medium flame and grease it with the butter.
6. When it gets heated, cook the soaked bread on it till it turns into golden brown color. Flip it and cook from another side. Bread remains creamy from inside and its crust becomes crispy. This is basic and best quality of good French toast.
7. Now do the same with the remaining bread slices.
8. Your French toast is ready, serve hot with the maple syrup or extra toppings.
1. If you use sandwich bread (thin slices) then it will get mushy after soaking the milk-egg mixture. So it’s better to use a loaf bread or stale bread for it. As I said, thick slices are best for French toast.
2. You will feel sick if your French toast is too much eggy or will think that you are eating raw eggs if it doesn’t cook well, so avoid too much use of egg and also make sure it cooks completely.
3. When one slice of bread is cooking on frying pan, place another one in the milk -egg mixture for soaking at the same time, so that you will cook constantly without any hindrance.
4. You may also add sugar in the mixture for making your French toast a sweet dish.
5. Don’t try to soak bread for longer time otherwise it will become soggy and in such case no matter what type of bread you had taken. So home cooks, be careful!
6. Make sure, it cooks well from both the sides.
7. If you add some sugar at the time of cooking then your toast will caramelized a little bit and become more delicious. It will mesmerize you.
8. One side of toast will cook properly in just 45 seconds.
9. You may also make your French toast in microwave.
1. Don’t try to cook it on high flame otherwise it will remain raw from inside and burnt outside.
2. Don’t soak your bread so much in the milk-egg mixture.
Range of cost of ingredients and dish:
This simple and “less ingredients dish” is too cheap. This is too cheap so that you need not make it occasionally, you may add this to your breakfast without thinking of its cost.
If we talk about the cost of dish, then it ranges from $5.00 to $10.00 depending on the type of French toast (or type of toppings such as dry fruits, jam, chocolate spread, icing sugar etc). And also the ingredients are not too costly.
Here are the costs of ingredients:
1. Eggs: almost all the people take egg in breakfast and it may easily available at home. The cost of eggs is ranges from $25.00 to $30.00.
2. Milk: cost of milk also depends on its quantity. You may get this above $20.00.
3. Bread: cost depends on the type of bread (loaf bread, sandwich bread, brown bread) and also on the quantity of bread. Nonetheless, if we talk about an average cost then it ranges from $10.00 to $15.00.
4. Butter: it depends on the type of butter (salted or unsalted).An average cost of butter ranges from $10.00 to $20.00.
5. Salt: You may get this under $10.00.
6. Cinnamon: you may get this between the ranges of $5.00 to $10.00.
7. Vanilla extract: its average cost ranges from $15.00 to $25.00.
So, that’s how your French toast prepared in just $5.00 to $10.00.
So what are you waiting for? Go and make this simple and delicious dish and do some innovative in it because that’s your home made French toast and you can make it sweet, savory and also give any shape to your French toast because its completely yours!
And yes! If you have any query and suggestions for us then you are most welcome and do let us know by giving them in the comments block. We also want to know how you make your French toast.