Interior designing is a creative profession which deals with decorating the interior spaces of buildings, apartments, suites and temporary workplaces like museums. It is an ideal career choice for passionate and artistic people. An interior designer creates plans for interiors of homes and office spaces.
The designs are then implemented to create an aesthetic feel and environment, as per customer specifications. Interior design must have good interactive and presentation skills, so that he assesses customer requirements, generates plans and is able to explain his plans in detail.
Once considered to be a sub-discipline of architecture, Interior designing is a developed and independent field of study in the contemporary world. Candidates having good knowledge about materials may look forward to adopting Interior designing as a career choice. Those with good aptitude and puzzle solving abilities may also consider this field. However, one needs to be persistent in his or her creative efforts to thrive in this field.
After graduating from school, candidates need to apply for the Four year course in Bachelor of Design (B.Des) from a recognized institute. Alternatively, they may apply for B.Sc Degree or Bachelor of Arts or Diploma in the specialization of Interior Design. These alternative courses take 3 years for completion.
Some of the premier institutes awarding graduation courses in Interior Design are
- School of Design and Visual Studies, Gurgaon
- International School of Design, Mumbai
- Academy of Applied Arts, Chandigarh
- International Institute of Fashion Design, Jaipur
There are many distance education courses as well as short term professional courses in the field of Interior design, run by design institutes and organizations. Students can look forward to these options as well. Moreover, there are no age related issues and a person is free to enroll for a certification course in Interior Design, whenever he or she plans to.
Interior design course prepares students for professional practice by providing classes in the following aspects.
- Integrated theory
Students of interior designing are adequately trained so that they develop the required skills to strike out a balance between mastery of design skills which suffice with professional demands. Secondly, students learn to cultivate and explore imaginative abilities, since imagination is the factor that motivates to develop new ways of thinking about the environment.
Aspirants of interior designing courses need to possess multiple skills and hence they are provided training with respect to the following:
- Problem solving
- Developing sketching alternatives
- Applied research
- Appropriate media for design communication
Building systems for interior design is concerned with practical training to learn the concepts of
- Space planning: It deals with the placing of furniture and other items like cupboards in the room. A recent trend in space planning is the installation of kitchen cupboards with inbuilt ovens.
- Elevations and sections: Elevation refers to the front view of building, which is in two dimensions. The three dimensional projection of the room in expanded form is referred to as Sections. Planning of elevations and sections requires geometric skills and precision.
- Furniture plans: Plans relating to selecting light, advanced or designer furniture are included in this subject.
- Reflective ceiling plans: Plans regarding ceiling, wall colors and lighting appliances are included here.
Students must also know how to combine perspectives with composition. In addition they must be able to grasp and apply the concepts of lighting design. They must emphasize on both the technical as well as aesthetic principles.
Professional training serves to develop student skills in residential design, digital imaging, sketching for studio, spatial design and Building Information Modeling(BIM) and material use efficiency.
Students are trained in order to develop the conceptual design, which is later applied to the construction documents. Once the layout is formed, students deliver presentations to explain the key elements of their design.
With growth of information technology, every sector is touched by digitalization concepts including interior designing. Digital imaging is a prime art that the present students need to be well versed in. Students are trained in order to develop the dexterity in the use of imaging software. Besides, they learn how to apply and improvise upon various digital techniques for color presentation.
Sketching for design
Here, students learn to use color and sketching techniques for visualizing their designs in the studio.
Spatial design is a fundamental element in interior design which relates to form, functionality and the development of spatial design concepts. Some skills required here are sketching, perspective drawing and rendering.
Building Information Modeling (BIM)
It is an advanced course, wherein students combine geometry, spatial relations, geographic information with properties of building construction. Also, students learn to maintain project related records within a single file. This project file may be used whenever required for the purpose of generating plans, sections and elevations.
Material use efficiency
Here, students learn various aspects with respect to materials of building construction. This includes appropriate material selection, specification and installation of starting and processed materials in construction.
Job and career opportunities
Interior designers can establish their own firms. It takes time and capital, but in few years substantial profits earned justify the initial hard work done. Alternatively, interior designers can join private firms, where they can work on individual projects and learn to establish positive relationships with customers. Few candidates firstly gain few years of experience in established firms and later set up their own offices.
Interior designing has ample scope in many areas. Some of these are:
- Residential design: This field deals with designing the inner spaces in homes, apartment, canal boats and house boats.
- Designing professional spaces or workplaces: This field studies the techniques used for designing settings for industrial and office spaces.
- Exhibition designing: This area is concerned with the art of designing temporary settings like museums and galleries.
- Commercial design: With an aim of gaining customer attraction, commercial design is the field for designing the interior spaces of shopping malls, supermarkets, warehouses and conference centers.
- Leisure design: It deals with designing inner spaces in places of recreation like cinema halls and theaters.
- Designing hospitality spaces: Designers get the opportunity to decorate the interiors of hotels and restaurants, clubs and cafes.
- Designing educational centers: This area is concerned with the designs of classrooms, corridors, assembly halls and auditoriums.
Degree holders in Interior design can select from variety of other job options and select from multifarious profiles including Interior and spatial designer, Production designer and Visual merchandizer.
Interior designers are paid in accordance with the city, where they are posted. In metropolitan cities, interior designers are well paid professions, with an initial figure of Rs. 28,000. Trainees are posted for a remuneration of around Rs. 10,000. At senior level, interior designers’ salary reaches around 30 lacs in one year.
In order to establish a firm of one’s own, one needs to risk in substantial amount of capital for office furniture and staff. He or she needs to wait patiently for about one year till the return on investment is earned.
- An interior designer gets the opportunity to provide a visual representation of the plans imagined by her.
- Even diploma holders can become established interior designers provided they have the required talent and drive for creativity.
- There are equal scopes for male and female candidates to become good interior designers.
- Interior designing provides the much needed job satisfaction to the employees, to sharpen their creative skills and progress high.
- At the beginning of their career, interior designers have to struggle tremendously to acquire professional expertise and fame.
- Interior designers might need to travel a lot during the implementation of the project. So it might be tiresome at times.
- Sometimes, companies feel that the appointed staff does not comply with industry standards.
- For setting up one’s own office, the candidate needs to bear financial risk. Some beginners are not able to handle losses. This seriously affects their career decisions and health related issues.
- It might be hard to explain idea to the customers or convince them of its utility. Sometimes are reluctant to accept the idea, regardless of the best efforts by the interior designer.
With rise in infrastructural development, the need for office decorum has gained a lot of importance. At present, the rate of increase in demand for interior designers is approximately 20% and is likely to increase further by the next year. Interior designers contribute to providing a sophisticated look to the office interiors. There is a lot of scope for female candidates to attain name in the field of interior designing, by being in a firm or having one’s own office.