How to make cake in easy steps!
Hmm! yummy cake! What can be a better dessert than this delicious cake for your party or any other occasion.
There are various types of cakes available in the market. Strawberry, vanilla, chocolate, butterscotch, pineapple etc. are different flavors of cakes.
You can make cake at home of any desired flavour. Do you think it is an hectic job? To make cake at home is not a tough task. You can make cake with ease, and you need not be a perfect cook!
Cake is basically made from all-purpose flour and is baked in an oven or pressure cooker.
It eventually becomes flavoured bread, that is decorated by cream or icing sugar, or anything you want to see on your cake to make it pretty and tasty!
You can make cake for any occasion! Such as – wedding cake, birthday cake, anniversary cake, New Year cake! And, many a times, you don’t need an occasion even. Am I right?
You can make cake which is egg-less, milk less or even a gluten-free cake.
But, if we talk about a basic cake, then it is prepared by some basic ingredients such as all-purpose flour, eggs, baking powder, sugar and flavouring agents.
It is then baked in oven for sometime and, after this, you can decorate your cake with anything such as cream, icing sugar or some additional things like chocolate chips, gems, nuts, dried fruits etc.
So, let us now gear up to make cake! Get adventurous, cooks!
Bake and Make Cake!
- Cake pans
- Off set spatula
- Sharp knife
- Turn table
Preparation time: About 1 hour and 30 minutes.
(for basic vanilla cake)
• 3 cups all-purpose flour
• 1 tablespoon of baking powder
• 4 large eggs, at room temperature
• 1 ½ cups of granulated sugar
• ½ teaspoon salt
• 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
• ¾ cup sour cream
- There are two types of ingredients: dry and wet.
Dry ingredients are all-purpose flour, salt and sugar. Wet ingredients are eggs, sour cream, and vanilla extract.
- Mix sugar in eggs
- Beat the eggs until yolk and white mixes completely.
- Sugar also starts to mix completely in eggs.
- Now add all-purpose flour in eggs.
- Keep mixing flour in eggs gradually so that there will be no lumps of flour.
- Now add baking powder, vanilla extract and sour cream.
- Add a little amount of salt. It will balance the sweetness of sugar.
- Mix all the ingredients and make a batter.
Now grease cake pan with vegetable oil and dust some flour on it.
- Pour the batter in the floured pan.
- Preheat the oven to 177 °C degree.
- Now bake the cake in the oven for about 30 minutes.
- Make sure it will bake completely by picking a toothpick or knife in it.
- Now cool your cake for few minutes.
- Take out the cake from the pan and put it on turntable.
- Spread whipped cream with the help of off set spatula.
• You can also decorate your cake with the icing sugar, chocolate chips, gems etc.
• Your cake is ready.
• You really need to beat the eggs so that air is fully incorporated in it and you will get a cake having well aerated structure.
- Don’t mix the whole amount of flour at a time otherwise there would be lumps of it in the batter.
- Make a smooth batter. It will make your cake fluffy. If you make a thick batter then it will not bake properly.
- Bake your cake for aforesaid time only.
- Take out your cake from the pan after 5-10 minutes so that it will cool down and you can remove it easily.
- If you don’t have an oven then don’t worry as you can make your cake in pressure cooker.
For this, you need to remove insulating rubber and whistle from the pressure cooker.
Preheat the cooker for about 2 minutes. Now pour the batter in the pan and put into cooker.
Also make sure it will not in direct touch of the bottom of the cooker.
You can either put a plate on the bottom of the cooker or put your cooker on the flat griddle.
Bake your cake for sometime. You need not use water as you are not steaming your cake. You are baking your cake and heat generated by the cooker will sufficient to bake the cake.
• If you are going to bake the cake in pressure cooker then read all the safety measures for the pressure cooker. Make sure it should be safe to bake the cake in your cooker.
Sponge cake is made up of egg, flour and sugar. This cake is spongy and air is fully incorporated in it. In this sponge cake, baking powder is used for leavening and it is little firm in nature. In this, egg yolk is beaten with the sugar and white whisked separately. It will make more aerated structure.
However, it is not necessary as you can add yolk and white altogether. Sponge cakes are used for making puddings, Swiss roll, cup cakes etc.
• 4 large eggs
• 3 cup All purpose flour
• 1 table-spoon Baking powder
• 1 ½ cup granulated Sugar
• Tutti frutti
• Cashew, nuts, almonds etc.
- Crack eggs and add granulated sugar in it.
- Whisk eggs till the yolk and white mixes completely.
- Now keep adding flour gradually and make a smooth batter.
- Add baking powder, cashew, nuts, almonds and tutti frutti.
- Now pour the batter in dusting cake pan.
- Preheat oven at 177°C.
- Place the pan in the oven for 30 minutes.
- Your cake will be spongy and well aerated.
- Dust some icing sugar and your cake is ready.
- You can also decorate it with cream, chocolate chips etc.
Butter cake is mainly made up of butter along with some basic ingredients such as eggs, flour, sugar and baking powder. In this cake butter is whisked by adding sugar till it becomes fully aerated.
Butter becomes hard when cooled down so cake also become little firm when freeze or cooled down.
• Add flour gradually.
• Add flavourings along with other ingredients.
• Preheat oven at 177°C.
• Pour the batter in dusting cake pan.
• Place it into oven for about 30 minutes.
• Butter cake is ready; decorate it as per your choice.
Chiffon cake is an intermediate between sponge cake and butter cake. This cake is fully aerated and light as compared to other type of cakes. Vegetable oil is used as main ingredients in place of butter. Air is beaten into vegetable oil in this cake which is quiet difficult.
Eggs are beaten in vegetable oil and this cake gives a fluffier texture to the cake. So if you want a fluffy and moistened cake. Try this chiffon cake!
Double layered cake
Two layer of cake are used in double layered cake. Two layer of cake are fused with the filling. Filling is generally made with the butter cream. And when we bake the cake, the top surface of the cake becomes slightly domed. So we need to removed the domed surface and make it flat.
Place the cake on the turntable. Remove the domed surface with the sharp knife.
Apply the butter cream filling on the top surface of the one layer using an offset spatula. Now placed another layer on the coated surface. Press the upper layer gently so that it will fix properly and filling will ooze out from the edges.
Spread the filling all over the cake with the help of spatula. Now apply thin coat of icing as it will seal the cake properly and place it in the refrigerator for sometime.
Your double layered cake will become little firm. Now decorate the cake with the cream using piping tube. Your double layered cake is ready. This is the yummiest dessert, I must say!
Range of average cost of ingredients and tools:
All the ingredients are easily available and you can buy them from the market. Range of the cost of the ingredients and tools are enumerated below:
- All purpose flour: Cost depends on the quantity of the item. But on an average you get this in between $15 to $25.
- Eggs: generally eggs are taken in breakfast so you can easily find them at home; nonetheless, you can get them from market in just $25 to $30.
- Sour cream: on an average it ranges form $25 to $35.
- Baking powder: you can get baking powder in just $5 to $10.
- Sugar: it is easily available in just $10 to $20.
- Vanilla extract: it depends on the quantity and on an average you get this between $15 to $25.
- Offset spatula: offset spatula is available in different ranges and average cost of this is $5 to $10.
- Turntable: you can get turntable in between $25 to $35.
- Cake pan: It depends on the size, quantity and the quality of the product. And if you want a single cake pan then you can get it under$15. And set of three pan will range from$20 to $30.
This is how you make your cake at home. Enjoy your dessert! And if you have any query, do let us know!