How to Make Frosting Easily at Home!
Frosting is the icing we do on various delicious recipes, to make it taste more delicious and look more beautiful.
Before we hop on at how to make frosting, we shall have a small thesis on it.
Frosting is of several types. Why? The texture, the flavor and the style categorises the frosting. Also, the ingredients we will use will define the type of frosting. For instance, we can make frosting from powdered sugar, butter, chocolate and whatever the flavors we wish to imbibe.
Once we know what we desire, it will become easy to make frosting.
It is easier to sway kids with the attractive frosting decorations on cookies and cakes. And, why only kids? Even the elderly as well like to eat food which is tasty as well as pretty. We always need not go to the market to purchase the desserts, when it is so easy to prepare and make frosting at home.
Yes, we can make frosting quickly at home and very conveniently. We often get scared by the ample of exclusive ingredients required in any delicious recipe. But, here, we do not need any exclusive ingredient to make frosting.
Do you want to know how to make frosting and make a perfect dessert for the dinner tonight?
Let me tell you one more fantastic thing that we don’t need to be a master chef or a high profiled cook to make frosting. I, myself, can easily make frosting at home, if I have the guidelines and the ingredients.
Shall we start? Wear your apron, and get to the work field.
How to make frosting with powdered sugar
Preparation time : 1 hour 10 minutes
Ingredients : 1 cup of powdered sugar, 4 tablespoon of milk/water/sugar
In case you need to add some flavours while to make frosting in a different way, you can have any of these:
- lemon juice
- vanilla extract
- strawberry extract
- almond or cashew extract
Or, any other flavour which you like and is available in the market.
We are also free to use any food colour to make frosting in a very colourful and attractive style.
Besides the ingredients, you just need a small or a medium bowl which can easily handle your content, and a tablespoon as well as another spoon for mixing the contents. I suppose, we all have refrigerators in our houses!
Tip : Make sure that you have all the ingredients on your desk.
Do as you read along:
- Take a small or medium bowl, and add 1 cup of powdered sugar.
- Add a few drops (1 to 3) of milk/water/juice to the bowl. (The thickness is controlled by the amount of liquid we add to the bowl. The more the liquid portion, the less the thickness of the frosting we will obtain. We can always maintain the thickness by adding liquid and powdered sugar in appropriate portions. Use your intellect in this management.)
- Stir the contents well, with the spoon.
- Avoid lump formation. Add more liquid if the thickness is more than expected. In case if it is too thin, add powdered sugar. How is the consistency? If you do not know how to do it, test the consistency by tilting the spoon and let the mixture run down. It’s just too easy. Did you do it?
- Now, since the mixture we made has met our expected standards of consistency, we can put it in the refrigerator to cool it down. Keep the bowl in refrigerator for an hour, at maximum.
- Add flavours and food colours according to your own wish.
- It is time to spread the frosting on the cake or whatever base you have baked or prepared!
Have fun eating it all! Try to make for every body in the house or share it with your friends.
How to make frosting with butter
There are ample of butter lovers around. Are you one of them? We can make frosting with the butter as the key ingredient.
Preparation Time : 40 minutes
Ingredients : 100 g of butter, 150 g of powdered sugar, few drops of milk/water
You will also need an electric mixer to mix the contents, especially to get rid of that thick butter. Do you have an electric mixer?
Do not forget the bowl and the spoon!
Tip: Try to have the ingredients in a little extra amount. Because, if you feel like to add a little more of butter or a little more of powdered sugar, you won’t need to run out again to the general store to buy more of it.
Also, do not use butter in the hardened form while you make frosting. Use softened one. You can make the hard butter soft by keeping it at room temperature.
Do as you read along:
- Take softened butter in the bowl and beat it with the electric mixer. You must know when to stop. Keep on checking it constantly. When it becomes fluffy and appropriate to behave as a frosting, you know it is time to do the next step.
- Add 150 g of powdered sugar to it along with a tablespoon of milk or water. Beat it for a while.
- Add another tablespoon of milk or water. Beat using your weapon, the electric mixer.
- When you get the perfect consistency, put it in refrigerator. The timings for refrigeration is up to you. You can put it for 20 to 30 minutes, at maximum.
Time to eat!
Now, since you know how to make frosting from the above common methods, you can always bring your own innovation into the frosting recipe.
Innovations! Try them once!
Make frosting by just adding an additional ingredient, according to your own taste and preference.
- Chocolate frosting : The process to make frosting is the same. Add a few soft, dark chocolate slices to the mixture and beat with the electric mixer. You can also use chocolate syrup if you do not want it to be “highly chocolate”. But, remember, that the syrup is a liquid. So, you need to manage the consistency while you make frosting.
- Strawberry Frosting : Add about less than a half cup of strawberry jam in powdered sugar or butter, when you make frosting.
- Vanilla frosting : This frosting makes the basic taste. You just need to add the vanilla extract.
- Almond frosting : Add about half a teaspoon of almond extract in the mixture. Beat it and decorate. Use dry fruits and nuts to make it even more richer in taste.
- Citrus Frosting : Add lemon or orange juice, or the extracts. You can also use small piece of lemon or orange peel, in a grated form, to garnish the frosting. The flavour, trust me, is very nice!
The methods and styles to make frosting mentioned here require basic inputs, which are easily available in the market, at affordable costs. We have not used any exclusive input, which makes your decision, to make frosting at home, very much feasible.
However, we can always add many things in our inventory, and go on to try new things. This is completely your own choice.
The key point, which you need to take care of while you make frosting, is the consistency. The consistency will shape your frosting. Pay attention to it.
Make frosting. Make your loved ones happy. Share your experience and pictures of your dessert, so that we can have your creations in our treasure bag!
You can always find her laying hands on new things, experimenting, finding answers to some questions on her own and, travelling, of course!
Find this butterfly hovering around!