Make Chili, in traditional style with meat or beef, or in vegetarian style with beans and corn!
Chili is a dish yet not known to many, but loved by many! It is associated with American and Mexican cooking, where people make Chili with many twists and styles.
Chili has a nickname of “Chili con carne” and is a spicy stew, which contains Chili peppers base along with protein.
Tomatoes, beans, spices, seasonings, cheese, cilantro and other ingredients make Chili just a perfect meal to have at lunch or dinner!
If we put it into more easy words, Chili is a stew with Chili sauce. Any version of Chili has Chili peppers for sure!
Adding meat or tofu to it as the protein is completely your choice.
You can make Chili in non vegetarian style as well as vegetarian style!
Once you make Chili, you can eat it over the spaghetti, or have it as stew, or give it your own version of serving.
Cooking is something which gives best results when you put your own innovations in it and enjoy every step! Make your own style of a recipe!
The style to make Chili is different in various regions. Somewhere it is hot and spicy, whereas somewhere, it is mild and tangy due to the tomatoes.
We will learn the basic process to make Chili, where the protein will define the vegetarian or non vegetarian content. Rest, everything will be common in any style you try out!
Make Chili in Easy steps
Preparation time : 20 minutes-40 minutes
Servings : 8-10
- Protein (Meat or tofu)
- Olive oil
- 1 large or 2 medium sized onions, chopped
- Red and green bell peppers, 1 each, chopped
- Vegetables like carrots, celery, beetroot etc. as per your own choice, chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- Corn kernels or sweet corn
- 1 tablespoon of Chili powder, Oregano, Paprika each.
- 1 Tablespoon of cumin powder
- salt to taste
- Tomato base or chicken broth
- Toppings (shredded cheese, hot sauce, avocados, sour cream, cilantro etc.) – optional
- A long list of ingredients is always scary. Try to look at ingredients categorised into 4 main components:Protein (meat or tofu), Vegetables, Broth base (Tomatoes or chicken broth) and Seasonings (Oregano, Paprika etc.).Use whichever ingredient you find suitable to use!
- The best thing is that, to make Chili, we just need a single pot. Use a spoon or spatula to stir, and yes, knife to chop the vegetables.
- Make sure that the pot you use is big enough to hold all your contents.
- If you are using meat, know that it takes more time to cook as compared to tofu. Make sure you take care of this point. Avoid overcooking.
- When you cook on low heat, the flavours will get enriched nicely, but it will cost you more cooking hours. You also need to take care of this to make Chili.
Do as you read along:
- Take a pot and add some olive oil to it. Add the protein (meat or tofu).
- Cook it for a few minutes, till it gets a little soft.
- Take the contents out in another bowl or container. In the same pot, add a little olive oil again and put garlic and onion.
- Till they both get cooked properly, put the other vegetables.
- Add seasonings (salt, oregano, Chili powder, paprika, cumin etc.)
- Crust formation is not an alien thing while you make Chili. To get rid of it, add water, stock or chicken broth, if you have. You can add tomato puree as well.
- Cover the pot while your contents get soft. Stir a little in between.
- Cook it till the contents attain a soupy texture. With time, the flavours will deepen and provide a good enrichment to the Chili.
- Add precooked protein and stir well.
- Take it down when you reach the desired stage of your stew.
- Garnish it with shredded cheese, sour cream, fried onions or fresh cilantro.
Serve it hot, and let the aroma fill the air all around! The supper is going to get more delicious tonight with this Chili!
Chili is the heartthrob of several houses and restaurants, and is thus made with several variations. The variations, though somewhat different from the traditional recipe, provide an enriched and healthy output!
If you are going to make Chili for the first time, start with few ingredients and then, gradually progress with variations. You can always chose a pot or a cooker to make Chili.
If you have less time to cook and want to make Chili in 15-20 minutes at maximum, Use a cooker along with less time consuming ingredients.
If you are a foodie, and would like to try a new variation of Chili, then there are several styles:
- Cincinnati Style Chili
- Vegetarian Sweet Potato and Quinoa Chili
- White Chicken Chili
- Nigella Vegetarian Chili
- All American Chili
- Texas Chili
and many more. I myself may not be knowing all the variations!
But, yes, you can make Chili, either in this style, or in a complete new style and share with us! People would love to know the recipe you have innovated!
Make Chili for your family and friends, and yes, yourself. A bowl of health and happiness!
Share with us your ideas and views, and we will keep it in our treasure bag forever!
You can always find her laying hands on new things, experimenting, finding answers to some questions on her own and, travelling, of course!
Find this butterfly hovering around!