Cold is one among most common diseases. It is very important to get rid of cold fast before it converts into severe disease. Cold is an infection which spreads very quickly among people. It infects nose and throat and patients shows the following symptoms:
- Running nose
- Feeling tired
- Sore throat
Usually, cold lasts for 1 to 2 weeks. If it remains any longer it may be a symptom of flu or other such disease. There are many over the counter medications available to get rid of a cold fast. But here are some home remedies to fight against cold naturally and avoid the risk of side effects:
- Gargling: Gargle with lukewarm saline water to get rid of cold fast. Salt water will massage your throat and remove the germs. It will give immediate relief from cold and will help to cure disease completely.
- Take 1 glass of lukewarm water.
- Add one tablespoon of salt to make it saline.
- Now take few amount of water in your mouth and hold it in your throat.
- While holding water push the air out from your throat.
- It should create the bubbling sound then spit the water out.
- Gargle until full glass is emptied.
You will see that lots of phlegm which was present in throat will also come out with water. Do the gargling several times a day to get rid of cold fast.
- Drink Ginger Tea: Ginger tea is best to provide relief from cold and aching throat. It contains anti-inflammatory, anti oxidant properties which helps to get rid of cold fast.
- Take one to one and a half cup of water in a pan.
- Now add 1 to 3 tablespoon of fresh and grated ginger roots into water.
- Now boil it for 5 to 10 minutes
- Cover the water with plate so that nutrients do not get vaporized.
- Now let the tea steep for half an hour.
- Enjoy your ginger tea and inhale its aroma to get more benefit. Do not drink much ginger tea during summer season. Ginger is hot by nature and may cause several complexities if consumed much in summer.
- Liquorice root or mulethi: Liquorice root is one of the important herbs of ancient Chinese and ayurvedic science. It helps to get rid of cold fast and completely. It eliminates the risk of re occurrence of cold.
You can take liquorice roots in many ways:
- Suck the liquorice root to make it soft.
- Chew it until all its juice is consumed.
- Now spit out the remaining substance.
You can also add rock candy and black pepper to maximize the benefit of liquorice root.
- Honey: Honey is one of the best dietary options. It contains excellent healing abilities. Many food experts consider it as most healthy food item. It is not only tasty and nutritious but also helps to get rid of cold fast. Honey provides relief to the sore throat and helps to fight against bacteria.
- Add one spoon of freshly extracted lemon juice with two spoons of honey.
- Eat this mixture every two to three hours to get relief from cold.
You can also eat raw honey if you like. But it is always good to add some more ingredients to make it more beneficial.
- Garlic: Garlic is ancient remedy to get rid of a cold fast. It is frequently used by grandparents in Indian families to fight against various diseases. It removes the bacteria out from your body and gives you great relief.
- Take one clove of garlic and remove its peel.
- Now cut the garlic into small pieces.
- Chew the garlic properly and then gulp it.
- Drink water or juice (preferably orange juice) immediately after eating garlic.
Eat garlic daily until your cold subsides.
There are lots of other home remedies which will help you to get rid of cold fast. But lifestyle changes are also important to quickly improve your condition. So, here are some healthy habits which you should opt to get rid of cold fast:
- Take hot bath: Bathing is very important to remove germs from body. It is even more important to take bath during cold as more bacteria linger on your body during cold.
Taking bath with lukewarm water will provide relief from fatigue caused by disease. It will rejuvenate your body and will provide gentle massage to your sore throat.
- Take plenty of rest: Rest is very important to get rid of cold fast. Our body works on rehabilitative process during rest. You should sleep for at least 6 to 8 hours during normal condition.
At the time of cold this time duration should be increased so that body may get more time for healing process. It is very difficult to sleep during cold so, use these methods.
- Apply Vicks vapor on your chest and below the nose before sleeping.
- Drink lukewarm milk before sleeping. For more benefit add turmeric into milk.
- Take shower with lukewarm water before sleeping, but do not wet your hair during night time.
- Drink green tea half an hour before sleeping.
- Eat healthy: It is very important to take nutritional diet to get rid of a cold fast. At the time of cold you might not get accurate taste of any dish. Due to bacterial infection in nose, you cannot smell the essence of food. It creates difficulties for tongue to perform its task properly.
Eat food items which strengthen the immunity system like green vegetables, cereals, and protein rich food items. Soups like chicken soup, tomato soup, spinach soup are very beneficial during cold.
- Avoid hard physical labor: It is not wise to run while you suffer from cold. Your body is weak during cold. Do not spend your energy unnecessarily because your body needs it for healing and to get rid of cold fast.
If you do regular exercise then you can do mild exercises which do not make you energy deprived. If you do not do exercise regularly then it is not a good time to start.
- Maintain the hygiene: It is very important to maintain hygiene during cold. If you want to get rid of cold fast then you should avoid germs and dust. Keep your home clean and avoid going to public places. Take following measures to stop the spreading of germs:
- Wash your hands before and after meal.
- Take bath regularly.
- Use handkerchief while sneezing or coughing.
- Avoid going to public places.
- If it is necessary to go out,
cover your mouth and nose with mask.
- Avoid shaking hands, kissing or hugging.
- Do not share your personal belongings like towel and toothbrush with others.
To get rid of cold fast you should take care of yourself and maintain some distance with others. If your cold persists for more than two weeks then immediately consult with doctor and get a checkup.
Take special safety measure during change in climatic conditions. Diseases spread more during this time period. Avoid junk food and unhygienic places and eat balanced diet to maintain your overall health.