Dogs are restless animals and they keep running and playing in mud all day. You may not allow your dog to go in dirt. But still somehow they end up bathing in dust and looking like a street dog. So, this question becomes important among all the dog keepers and dog lovers that how to prevent fleas on dogs?
Fleas are those nasty little blood sucking creatures that creates itching, discomfort and red spots on your skin. They cause equal trouble to both man and animal. Man has lots of options available to remove the fleas away. But your pet animals can do nothing more than itching and licking their skin.
Your dog provides you protection against burglars, Murderers or any person who might be harmful for your loved ones. Thus it becomes your moral liability to protect them against any disease or health issues.
Here are ten methods to prevent fleas on dogs:
- Use garlic spray: Garlic spray is good option to keep your yard flea free and thus prevent fleas on dogs.
- Take 6 to 8 heads of garlic without peeling its outer crust.
- Place it into extra large sauce pan.
- Now pour about one gallon of almost boiling water into the pan.
- Leave it for at least 12 hours.
- Pour this mixture in your yard or dog house through garden sprayer.
- But avoid heavy sprinkling rather sprinkle very lightly, avoid spraying it on the plants.
Fleas hate the essence of garlic. Thus they will not cross your yard no matter how good your dog may look to them.
- Regularly wash your dog: Just like humans it is very important for pets to bathe regularly in order to remain disease free and healthy. Wash your dog regularly with slightly warm water. Regularly comb his/ her fur to keep it smooth and free from fleas, bugs or any other insects.
- Use flea shampoo: Flea shampoo will not only prevent fleas on dogs but also make it smooth and shiny. Its effects does not remain longer so you have to apply the shampoo frequently. But do not use flea shampoo regularly. It may affect the fur of your dog as medicated shampoo affects the quality of hair in humans.
- Essential oils: Essential oils are very effective ways to prevent fleas on dogs. But it should never be used as it is. Essential oil may be harmful for your dog without diluting.
You can use essential oil like clary sage, peppermint, lavender, lemon, cedar, eucalyptus, palmarosa. But avoid using clove, wintergreen or pennyroyal essential oils for dogs.
- Dilute one drop of essential oil of your choice into one milliliter of carrier oil like fractionated coconut oil.
- Then infuse this solution in very little quantity on bandana or collar of your dog.
- But make sure that your dog does not wear it all time.
- Remove it when he/ she is indoors.
- Keep your house clean: Fleas are less likely to come in clean environment. Keep your surroundings clean; Clean your dog house on regular interval of time if you want to prevent fleas on dogs. It will also from attacking your house and house members.
- Nematodes: Nematodes are tiny creature which have worm like structure. They may be either good or bad ones. Bad ones will cause you harm but good ones will kill your enemy pests and insects for you. They kill ants, bugs and also fleas which prevent fleas on dogs.
You have to just spray them with water in your yard with water. If there are any additional steps they are written on the package. So, you can spread them in your garden yourself without waiting for any other person. The best season for the nematodes spray is in summer, spring or fall. At this time temperature is higher and fleas are much active.
7. Use apple cider vinegar: Apple cider vinegar is acidic in nature and it helps to prevent fleas on dogs.
- Take one spoon full of good quality apple cider vinegar.
- Add one quarter liter water with it.
- Make your dog to drink this water all day.
- It will make your dog’s skin little acidic in nature.
This method will keep fleas away and provide nourishment to your pet. But first you should consult vet that how much quantity is appropriate for your particular dog.
- Flea comb: This is most effective and easiest way to prevent fleas on dogs. You just need to comb the fur of your pet with lemon juice added to it. Lemon juice will kill the fleas due to its acidic nature. This is totally harmless for your dog. It will also provide shine to his/ her skin and make it look more attractive.
- To use this method follow this simple guidelines:
- Boil the water into a pan.
- Add few recently cut lemon inside the pan. Turn the gas off when you add lemon.
- Left it for a night than in morning use this water to comb your dog’s hair.
- You can also use sponge for caressing your dog’s skin.
Just remember that let the comb or sponge cool down before you use it on your dog. It may produce burning sensation in his/ her body if applied before cooling the sponge. For good results you should use comb for dogs with big fur and sponge for dog with smaller fur.
- Maintain the hygiene of dog: To prevent fleas on dogs wash the bedding of your dog regularly. Clean the floor more often to remove the larvae of fleas. Use vacuum cleaner or mop especially to places where sunlight does not reach and where fleas are much comfortable. Specially keep your dog clean.
- Provide nutritious food to your dog: Provide healthy foods to your dog which will help him/ her to fight against fleas on his / her ow. Fleas prefer unhealthy bodies which do not fight back against them. Give them food items to make him /her more active and strong to create unfavorable conditions for fleas.
It is often said that prevention is the best cure for any disease. Keep a watchful eye over your dog and take his/ her good care. Then you will never have to worry about these tiny troublemakers at all.