Make Sugar Cookies in Amazing Shapes, beautiful frosting and yummy taste!
Sugar cookies are among the best small snacks to nibble. They are the small treats to make and share over brunch.
Also, you can have these sweet little treats anytime over tea or coffee while you go for a formal or informal meeting.
You can also munch them while you watch your favourite TV show or the latest movie at your home-theatre! We actually don’t exactly need an occasion to have them!
We will make Sugar cookies, but let us learn a little bit more about it in a different way!
Sugar cookies have a long history, and even plenty of facts! Can you imagine the origin dates back to the 7th century in Persia?
We even have a National Sugar Cookie Day, which is on July 9th!
Our sugar cookie even had several nicknames – jumbles, jumbals, crybabies, plunkets, gemmels etc.!
Earlier, the methods to make sugar cookies were traditional, which made the cookies turn a little dry and tough as compared to today’s version. They also had a typical shape, which is somewhere buried down by the modern formations.
However, there are several households and other places who still treasure the original and traditional taste of sugar cookies!
The toughness and dryness of the sugar cookies of that time made them durable enough, and thus, people could carry the sugar cookies on trips and several places. Also, the cookies could be eaten by people for more days.
Eventually, the sugar cookies underwent evolution, and the dry – tough traditional cookies got modified into the pretty decorative sugar cookies, which have several shapes! Yes, they are way too attractive and one cannot resist the urge to make sugar cookies in the same way and eat!
Instead of buying the sugar cookies, we can easily make sugar cookies at home. We just need a few basic ingredients and a heart to cook!
Make Sugar Cookies in Simple Steps:
Preparation time : 30 minutes
- 3 cups of all purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp of baking soda
- 1 tsp of baking powder
- a cup softened butter (salted or unsalted)
- 1 and a half cup white granulated sugar
- an egg
- 1 tsp of vanilla extract
- half cup of powdered sugar
Do you have any questions regarding the above ingredients? Well, I had some. So, I tried to answer them out!
If we are already taking baking powder, why do we need to take baking soda as well?
Baking soda and Baking powder may be used mutually used, but their chemical composition is distinct. Baking powder is a mixture of baking soda, cream of tartar and sometimes, cornstarch. And, Baking soda is just baking soda.
Baking Powder when combined with baking soda, performs the leavening quite efficiently. The bakery products, especially the sugar cookies come out well in shape.
Why do we need to use granulated sugar, and not any other sized sugar?
Sugar will get beaten along with butter when we will make sugar cookies. The fine sugar will yield us a fine mixture, whereas the coarse sugar will yield us coarse mixture. Granulated sugar does the job in the best manner, hence fit for use!
However, we use fine powdered sugar as well. But, that is for making the mould not adhere to surfaces.
To make sugar cookies is an interesting task! Gather up the ingredients and get to the kitchen counter.
You will also require medium or large sized bowls, spatula, spoons and an electric mixer.
Do as you read along:
- Preheat the oven at 375 º F.
- Take a bowl and put baking powder, baking soda and all purpose flour. You just have to mix these dry ingredients and let them set aside.
- Take another bowl and put softened butter along with the sugar. Blend the contents with the mixer.
- Crack an egg in the bowl and add vanilla extract over the mixed butter and sugar. Mix the contents well.
- Now, while you mix the contents, add the bowl of dry ingredients gradually.
- Blend till you get the dough.
- Now, you need a board where you can work on your dough. Sprinkle powdered sugar on the surface and place the dough over it.
- There are two ways to make the cookies : either you make round balls with hand and place it over the cookie sheet, or you can roll out the dough and make it a little thick. You can then cut the cookie of desirable shape using the cutters, simply knife or cookie stamps.
- Place the cookie sheet in the oven and let your sugar cookies bake for 5-7 minutes.
- Keep on monitoring them as soon as you see the sides turning brown.
- Take them out and let them cool down. Prepare to serve.
How to Serve the Sugar Cookies?
We were able to make sugar cookies. Now, Creativity begins here, in this serving section.
Get the frosting, icing stuff, sprinkles, food colours and whatever you need to decorate your sugar cookie according to the ideas you have.
You can do the icing on the borders, or cover it completely over the top. You also can make patterns using food colours and even the cookie stamps are very much helpful in the task.
If you have a theme in your mindset to make sugar cookies, decorations can be ultimate fun! They completely fit the best for festive occasions and lure everyone’s heart.
Some simple dusting by sugar or cocoa powder is evenly amazing. You can get the decorative sugars from the market as well!
What about dipping the sugar cookies in chocolate and then icing them up? Sounds very tempting to me!
This was a very simple and quick recipe to make sugar cookies. There are always variations to a single recipe.
Try to make these as well:
- Chocolate chip sugar cookies
- Hazelnut sugar cookies
- Cinnamon sugar cookies
- Frosted sugar cookies
And, if you have something to share with us regarding the same, we are forever ready to give you that platform! Your cooking tales would always stay with us in our treasure bag!
Make Sugar Cookies and enjoy eating them with a tinge of the master chef inside you!
You can always find her laying hands on new things, experimenting, finding answers to some questions on her own and, travelling, of course!
Find this butterfly hovering around!